You are hosting a server (or a workstation) with some important files that sould be backed-up regularly on some external storage ?
This article will explain how to use the fantastic possibilities of UDEV & RSync to automatise some files backup on an external USB hard disk.
The concept is as follow :
- You insert an external USB disk on one of your server USB port
- Your server recognise the inserted disk & mount it
- According to some backup rules associated with that specific disk, your server starts a differential backup
- When backup is over the disk is unmounted & the server beeps you the indicate that the backup is over
And, with this approach, you can use as many backup disks as you want, as the backup is done according to rules associated with a specific disk.
We will use :
- UDEV to recognize the disk and start the associated backup script
- RSync to do a very fast differential backup
This setup has been done on Debian Squeeze, but it should be compatible with any following version.