Nowadays, Linux can be a fantastic welcoming OS for a very complete Media Center. In term of functionnalities, here is what you can expect :
- silent & low consumption system
- possibility to use a MCE Remote
- suspend/resume from the remote only
- ability to play HD movies (720 & 1080)
- DVB-T functionnality, including HD channels
- recording possibility for DVB-T
- access to all video, photo & music from a network share
- access to any type of media on USB key or APN
After reading this list, you can say : Ok, very well, but why not to use a distribution like Openelec ?
Answer is simple : geekitude ... is an attitude ! Why let others handle things that you can handle directly by yourself.
So, here are the installation steps to convert a very small & silent nettop into a full featured digital Media Center using a standard Ubuntu Precise 12.04 platform.